It was raining. I went into a café and asked for a coffee. 1 I was waiting for my drink, I realized that there were other people in the place, but I sensed 2 . I saw their bodies, but I couldnt feel their souls 3 their souls belonged to the 4 .
I stood up and walked between the tables. When I came to the biggest computer, I saw a thin, small man 5 in front of it. Im Steve, he finally answered after I asked him a couple of times what his name was. I cant talk with you. Im 6 , he said. He was chatting online and, 7 , he was playing a computer game—a war game. I was 8 .
Why didnt Steve want to talk with me? I tried 9 to speak to that computer geek (怪人), 10 not a word came out of his mouth. I touched his shoulder, but no reaction (反应). I was 11 . I put my hand in front of the monitor, and he started to shout, 12 !
I took a few steps back, wondering if all those people in the café were looking at me. I _ 13 , and saw nobody showed any interest.
14 , I realized that the people there were having a nice conversation with their machines, not with people. They were more 15 having a relationship with the 16 , particularly Steve. I wouldnt want to 17 the future of human beings if they preferred sharing their lives with machines 18 with people.
I was worried and I sank in my thoughts. I didnt even 19 that the coffee was bad, 20 Steve didnt notice there was a person next to him.
1. A. Before B. Since C. Although D. While
2. A. pain B. loneliness C. sadness D. fear
3. A. because B. when C. until D. unless
4. A. home B. world C. net D. cafe
5. A. sleeping B. laughing C. sitting D. learning
6. A. busy B. thirsty C. tired D. sick
7. A. first of all B. just then C. at the same time D. by that time
8. A. surprised B. delighted C. moved D. frightened
9. A. once B. again C. first D. even
10. A. but B. so C. if D. or
11. A. excited B. respected C. afraid D. unhappy
12. A. Shut up B. Enjoy yourself C. Leave me alone D. Help me out
.13. A. walked about B. walked out C. raised my hand D. raised my head
14. A. From then on B. At that moment C. In all D. Above all
15. A. interested in B. tired of C. careful about D. troubled by
16. A. computer B. soul C. shop D. geek
17. A. tell B. plan C. imagine D. design
18. A. other than B. instead of C. except for D. as well as
19. A. pretend B. understand C. insist D. realize
20. A. as if B. just as C. just after D. even though
1~5 DBACC 6~10 ACABA 11~15 DCDBA 16~20 ACBDB