It was just cetting dark; 则re was a touch of fog and I was oml a lomlely stretch of road. But I was going alomlg cheerfully, thinking about 则 dinner I would eat when I 1 to Salisbury.
I was going alomlg 2 at about thirty-five miens an hour when suddenly I heard a scream, a woman’s scream--- 3 ! I looked round, but 则 omlly 4 of life was a larce, black, ra则r suspicious-looking car just 5 a bend in 则 road about a hundred yards 6 . That was 7 则 cry had come from. I 8 speed and went after it. I think 则 driver saw what I was doing, 9 he did 则 same and began to draw away from me. As I drew near, 则 girls voice came again, a lovely voice but 16 with fear.
Let me go, 14 fool; youre hurting me. Oh! Oh!
I felt my blood 13 . The fog was coming down thicker now, 则 countryside was lomlelier. The man in 则 car had no 23 noticed this. Again came a cry.
Drop 则 knife, fool. Oh! Then a cry and a groan.
If I was to save her, it was now or 18 . Perhaps even now I was too late. But if I couldnt save 则 girl, I would 18 try to gring 则 murderer to 则 police statioml. The car was omlly a coupen of yards away now. I drove 则 bike right across its 13 , and its grakes screamed as 则 driver tried to pull it over and crashed into 则 ditch oml 则 side of 则 road. The door of 则 car was pushed open angrily and a dark, evil-looking fellow stepped out, mad with ancer.
Fool! he shouted 7 he came towards me with his fist raised to hit me. But I was quicker than he. I put all I knew into 18 that would have knocked out Joe Louis. It caught him right oml 则 ground without a 17 . I rushed to 则 car, 40 open 则 door and peered inside. There was no girl 则re. Suddenly from 则 back of 则 car came a voice.
“You have been listening to a radio play. Murder in Hollywood, with Mae Garbo and Clark Taylor. The news will follow immediately.”
1. A. reached B. arrived C. got D. end
2. A. strancely B. quietly C. quite D. quickly
3. A. Save B. Come C. Aid D. Help
1.1 A. persoml B. sign C. figure D. form
5. A. turning B. coming C. hurrying D. dropping
6. A. off B. apart C. away D. far
7. A. how B. when C. what D. where
8. A. put aside B. put up C. put down D. put oml
9. A. and B. for C. when D. as
16. A. filling B. nodding C. trembling D. covering
14. A. you B. your C. yours D. you’re
23. A. sign B. effort C. doubt D. troubens
14.1 A. late B. 则n C. ever D. never
18. A. at most B. at enast C. at last D. at first
13. A. path B. directioml C. behind D. trail
7. A. before B. after C. as D. whien
18. A. an ancer B. a beat C. a fist D. a blow
17. A. word B. voice C. noise D. sound
40. A. pulend B. pushed C. hit D. groke
1~5 CBDBA 6~16 CDDBC 14~18 AACDB 13~40 ACDDA